Mother-of-three, 33, found on the loo beside empty bottle of wine in Pontin’s chalet had died of alcohol poisoning – hours after police were called out due to her drinking
- Police called to chalet of Gwynedd mother-of-three thought to be drunk just hours before she died of alcohol abuse
- Sioned Catherine Evans, 33, found with four times the drink drive limit of alcohol in her blood
- Police had been called to the chalet earlier to reports that Sinoed and partner Robert Holmes were drunk
- She had twice previously collapsed drunk in the street and taken to hospital
- Her death last August at Pontin’s, near Prestayn, was due to alcohol poisoning
Police were called to the chalet of a Gwynedd mother-of-three who was reported to be drunk just hours before she died while four times the drink drive limit.
Sioned Catherine Evans was found dead at the Pontin’s chalet, at Prestayn, where she was holidaying with her partner Robert Holmes and two of their sons on August 31 last year.
An inquest into her death heard that Robert’s mother, Shelia Holmes, had dropped the family off at the resort.
Sioned Catherine Evans who died of alcohol poisoning
Sioned Catherine Evans and her partner Robert Holmes
Then shortly after that at 1am on August 31 Shelia was called back to to the resort by the police to reports that the couple were intoxicated.
At this point Shelia had a ‘stern conversation,’ says The Mirror, with Sioned who had been struggling with alcohol issues since losing her licence to drink driving.
Shelia said that she also decided to stay at the site to look after the children. She added that she had previously pleaded with Sioned, 33, a catering assistant, of Trem Eryri, Menai Bridge, not to drink.
The inquest heard that Sioned had been looking forward to the weekend away with her sons and Robert had described her as being ‘in good spirits.’
Hours after deciding to stay at the Pontin’s Shelia was awoken by her son shouting ‘F*****g hell Sioned.’ He showed her that he had found his partner on the toilet with an empty bottle of wine next to her.
Thinking that the mother-of-three was asleep, Robert picked her up to put her to bed. At this point he noticed that she was cold.
Shelia thought Sioned was a funny colour and was not breathing. She could not find a pulse either.
While Robert attempted CPR Shelia called 999 but Sioned was pronounced dead at the chalet at around 7.30am.
Police found no suspicious circumstances but the post-mortem showed 393 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, with the drink drive limit being 80 milligrammes.
The cause of death was acute alcohol toxicity pathologist Dr Mared Owen-Casey said.
Robert Holmes – the partner of Sioned Catherine Evans at the time of her death
The inquest heard, says The Mirror, that Sioned had been referred to the drug and alcohol misuse service after she was twice taken to hospital after she was found collapsed in the street drunk.
She told medics that she struggled with depression and anxiety and drank a bottle of wine and four cans of cider a night.
Sioned, mother of Aaron, Jack and Connor, never contacted the drug and alcohol team though and so the referral was closed.
Coroner for North Wales east and central, John Gittens, said the death was alcohol related.
He said: ‘The circumstances in this case are incredibly tragic – even more so for those she leaves behind.’
He added that the death may have been preventable if Sioned had taken up the medical referral.
The community rallied round to raise £4,500 to pay for Sioned’s funeral.
Just eight months after Sioned died, her partner Robert Holmes,36, died when his bike was in a collision with a car on the A5025 Pentraeth Road, near Menai Bridge, Anglesey, on Good Friday this year.