Personal trainer, 29, ‘died of caffeine toxicity’ after mixing powder with pre-workout energy drink

Personal trainer, 29, died shortly after drinking pre-workout shake containing up to 200 TIMES more caffeine than a normal cup of coffee, inquest hears

  • Thomas Mansfield, 29, fell ill after taking the drink mixed with caffeine solution 
  • May have taken five times the potentially fatal level of stimulant caffeine powder
  • Mr Mansfield complained his heart was ‘racing’ before he collapsed at his home  

A personal trainer died shortly after ingesting a pre-workout drink mixed with caffeine, an inquest heard today.  

Father-of-two Thomas Mansfield measured out the powder and mixed it with a drink at his home in Colwyn Bay, Wales, but quickly felt unwell and complained of a racing heart. 

The 29-year-old collapsed in front of his wife Suzy, and was rushed to Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, but died in the emergency department.  

The inquest was told Mr Mansfield may have taken five times the potentially fatal level of caffeine. 

The coroner said a ‘substantial investigation’ would be held into the circumstances surrounding Mr Mansfield’s death. 

Father-of-two Thomas Mansfield fell ill after mixing a caffeine powder with a drink

Father-of-two Thomas Mansfield fell ill after mixing a caffeine powder with a drink 

Mr Mansfield, a 29-year-old personal trainer who ran his own business, collapsed and was rushed to Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, but died in the emergency department

Mr Mansfield, a 29-year-old personal trainer who ran his own business, collapsed and was rushed to Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, but died in the emergency department

An inquest into his death was formally opened at Ruthin County Hall today. 

The coroner heard how Mr Mansfield, who ran his own business and also worked as a security guard, had returned home after carrying out voluntary work on January 5.

His wife saw him measuring the powder and putting it in a drink but within minutes he said he was feeling unwell and his heart was ‘racing’. 

His heartbroken wife Suzy watched as the 29-year-old began to fit just minutes after taking the shake drink. 

His condition deteriorated quickly and he was taken to the hospital, where he died later that day.

Toxicology tests showed Mr Mansfield had a level of 392 milligrammes of caffeine per litre of blood. 

The coroner said a normal cup of coffee contained 2-4 milligrammes and deaths had been recorded at 78 milligrammes.  

It remains unclear what the mixture was, how much Mr Mansfield used and whether it had been mixed correctly.

The self-employed instructor ran fitness classes across North Wales with his personal training business and used the motto: ‘With you every step of the way.’

The couple were due to celebrate their second wedding anniversary earlier in March.

They have two children together, Tommy and Millie, and well-wishers rallied round to fundraise for the family following Mr Mansfield’s death.

Writing on social media, Suzy said she was ‘absolutely heartbroken’ by the tragedy.

She said: ‘My world has been ripped apart and my kids have lost their daddy.

‘I’ve lost the love of my life. Tom passed away at the hospital, the family tried so hard but it wasn’t enough. He was my whole life I’ll never get over this. You were my life Tom.’

‘I’m missing you so much and trying so hard for the kids keep it together, I love you more than I could love anyone, I’ll always love you.’

The coroner heard how Mr Mansfield, who ran his own business and also worked as a security guard, had returned home after carrying out voluntary work on January 5

The coroner heard how Mr Mansfield, who ran his own business and also worked as a security guard, had returned home after carrying out voluntary work on January 5 before making a drink

The coroner heard how Mr Mansfield, who ran his own business and also worked as a security guard, had returned home after carrying out voluntary work on January 5 before making a drink. Pictured, the personal trainer, left, and his own personalised drinks bottles, right

Pathologist Dr Mark Atkinson gave the provisional cause of death as caffeine toxicity. 

John Gittins, coroner for North Wales east and central, said that a ‘substantial investigation’ will be held into the circumstances surrounding Mr Mansfield’s death.

Further analysis of the caffeine powder used by Mr Masnfield will be conducted with the help of Conwy Council and the Food Standards Agency.

The coroner adjourned the inquest to a later date pending further investigations.