American cartoon series The Prince is put on ice after Prince Philip’s death

An upcoming satirical comedy that was due to mock the royal family has been delayed by the American broadcaster HBO Max following the death of Prince Philip.

The creators of the £5 million cartoon series The Prince, which was set to debut in late spring, have postponed the show’s release after the Duke of Edinburgh‘s death on April 9 at the age of 99.

The animated series was created by Family Guy producer Gary Janetti and revolves around a fictional version of Prince George and his family. 

However, following the Duke of Edinburgh’s death, the network confirmed the upcoming series has been delayed, with a new date to be ‘announced at a later time’.

The series has not announced whether the show will be aired by a UK broadcaster but head of HBO Max Global Andy Forssell last year said the American network was looking to expand to Europe during the second half of 2021.     

The satirical comedy The Prince, which is centred around the royal family, has been delayed by the American broadcaster HBO Max

The network made the decision to delay the cartoon series following the death of Prince Philip in April

The network made the decision to delay the cartoon series following the death of Prince Philip in April 

In a statement to the Hollywood Reporter HBO Max said: ‘We were saddened to learn of Prince Philip’s passing and will adjust plans for the series debut. A new date will be announced at a later time.’  

It is unclear if the Duke of Edinburgh’s character, which was voiced by actor Dan Stevens, will be redrawn before the show airs but a source told The Hollywood Reporter that the series did not paint Prince Philip and the Queen in the most flattering light. 

Last year, creators of the animated series were accused of ‘taking cheap shots’ after a trailer of the upcoming show appeared to mock Prince George, with critics saying the young royal could be adversely affected by his portrayal in the eight-part series.    

A producer for rival Disney Studios said: ‘It’s one thing for film-makers to play fast and loose with the truth in shows like The Crown but poking fun at a seven-year-old child seems cruel and unfair. 

‘Some things should be off-limits. It’s morally wrong to use a child to get cheap laughs.’ 

While TV critic Katherine Singh said: ‘It’s important to remember George is still a child who has had no say in his lot in life.

Next Page