A fresh spin on salads: Tuna salad with bitter leaves and anchovy dressing
This salad sees a sharp anchovy and garlic dressing spooned over crunchy fresh vegetables, with flaked tuna and jammy eggs. The combination works brilliantly well.
150g green beans, trimmed
1 medium fennel bulb (fronds reserved)
2 heads of red chicory, trimmed
50g dry pitted black olives
150g jar or tin of good-quality tuna in olive oil, drained and broken into large flakes
4 anchovy fillets in oil, drained and chopped (plus extra to serve, if liked)
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2-2½ tbsp red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Lower in the eggs and simmer for 7 minutes, adding the beans for the final 2 minutes. Drain and put the eggs in a bowl of cold water. Rinse the beans under the cold tap to cool, then shake dry and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Remove and discard any bruised outer layers of the fennel, then slice it as thinly as you can; a mandoline makes light work of this, but a sharp knife will do. When you reach the tough central core, discard it. Place the sliced fennel in the bowl with the beans. Separate the chicory leaves, cut them into shards and add to the bowl.
- Make the anchovy dressing. In a small food processor or small blender, blitz the anchovy fillets, oil, vinegar and garlic until smooth (scraping down the sides every now and again if necessary).
- Toss the vegetables and dressing together. Taste a leaf to check the seasoning, adding a little salt or pepper if needed.
- Arrange the salad in individual bowls or over a large platter. Scatter over the black olives and large flakes of tuna. Peel the eggs, halve and arrange over the top. Scatter over any reserved fennel fronds and serve.