England manager Gareth Southgate this morning described abuse of his players as ‘unforgivable’ after they were targeted by racists overnight.
He spoke out after Prince William and the Prime Minister stated the abuse was unacceptable.
Southgate said: ‘It’s just not what we stand for. We have been a beacon of light in bringing people together in people being able to relate to the national team, and the national team stands for everybody and so that togetherness has to continue.
‘We have shown the power our country has when it does come together and has that energy and positivity together.
‘It’s my decision who takes the penalties, it’s not a case of players not volunteering or more experienced players backing out.’
Prince William this morning said he was sickened by racist abuse of the England team, describing vile slurs at players as ‘totally unacceptable’.
The Duke of Cambridge, who was at the game last night, called for those behind the messages to be punished.
Gareth Southgate said: ‘It’s just not what we stand for. We have been a beacon of light’
Racists have bombarded Bukayo Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jodan Sancho with abhorrent abuse after the trio missed their penalties during tonight’s Euro 2020 final
Racists took to Twitter with vile slurs after the Euro 2020 match
One user wrote under the latest Instagram picture of Saka (pictured), 19: ‘Go back to Nigeria.’ While another said: ‘Get out my country’
Marcus Rashford, left, and Jadon Sancho have their heads in their hands after missing their kicks
And William – who is president of the FA – said the appalling remarks had to be stamped out for good.
He said: ‘I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night’s match.
‘It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour.
‘It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable.’
It came as Savills estate agent launched an investigation after claims a member of staff had been behind one of the messages.
A spokesperson said: ‘Savills abhors and has zero tolerance to any form of racism and racial discrimination and is appalled by the racist comments in these tweets.
‘Savills is immediately investigating and will take appropriate action.’
The PM echoed the Football Association’s condemnation of those attacking the players after the team lost to Italy.
Mr Johnson said: ‘This England team deserve to be lauded as heroes, not racially abused on social media.
‘Those responsible for this appalling abuse should be ashamed of themselves.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed they will be investigating the abuse
Another user wrote, ‘Foreigners are stupid,’ seemingly choosing to ignore that Saka was born in Ealing, west London
Home Secretary Priti Patel also headed up figures slamming the racists.
She said: ‘Players who have given so much for our country this summer have been subject to vile racist abuse on social media.
‘It has no place in our country and I back the police to hold those responsible accountable.’
It came as police began hunting the racists behind some of the vile social media posts.
The horrific comments, including the use of monkey emojis and racist language such as n****r , have led to the FA condemning its racist fans and saying they are not ‘welcome in following in the team’ and the Metropolitan Police has confirmed its officers will be investigating.
While thousands rallied to support the players, especially Saka, who lit up the tournament for England at the age of just 19.
Calling on those behind the abuse to face arrest and prosecution, one fan said: ‘I’ll take these three Englishmen over any racist-moron-fake-fan every day of the week and twice on a Sunday’.
Another wrote: ‘I stand with Rashford. I stand with Sancho. I stand with Saka. I stand with a whole team of brilliant men who made us all proud & represent the best this country has to offer I reject everything about the Racists & Shape Shifters who represent the worst’.
Racist social media users instantly took to the accounts of the three black players who missed penalties in last night’s clash against Italy.
The players’ Instagram and Twitter feeds were subjected to a barrage of racist imagery including monkey and banana emojis, as well as written comments packed with horrifying slurs.
One user wrote under the latest Instagram picture of Saka, 19: ‘Go back to Nigeria.’ While another said: ‘Get out my country.’ And another wrote: ‘Take banana n****r.’ And another, seemingly in support of the Italians, said: ‘It’s coming Rome!!! F****** n****r.’
Another user wrote, ‘Foreigners are stupid,’ seemingly choosing to ignore that Saka was born in Ealing, west London.
In response to the deluge of racist comments and FA spokesman made it clear that racists are not wanted in football.
A spokesman said: ‘The FA strongly condemns all forms of discrimination and is appalled by the online racism that has been aimed at some of our England players on social media’
Nineteen-year-old Bukayo Saka is inconsolable after failing to score his penalty kick and handing victory to the Italians
Nineteen-year-old Saka was consoled by Gareth Southgate as penalties came back to haunt the manager who missed his spot kick as a player at the semi-finals of Euro 1996
A spokesman said: ‘The FA strongly condemns all forms of discrimination and is appalled by the online racism that has been aimed at some of our England players on social media.
‘We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team. We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.
‘We will continue to do everything we can to stamp discrimination out of the game, but we implore government to act quickly and bring in the appropriate legislation so this abuse has real life consequences.
‘Social media companies need to step up and take accountability and action to ban abusers from their platforms, gather evidence that can lead to prosecution and support making their platforms free from this type of abhorrent abuse.’
And the Metropolitan Police confirmed they will be investigating the abuse and said: ‘We are aware of a number of offensive and racist social media comments being directed towards footballers following the #Euro2020 final.
‘This abuse is totally unacceptable, it will not be tolerated and it will be investigated.’
England players have taken the knee to support anti-racism drives throughout the tournament, a move that has drawn vocal criticism and boos from a section of their support.
In turn the FA and senior players have attacked the boo-boys in the stands, stating their actions are precisely why the team feels a need to make a stand against racism.
England lost the penalty shootout 3-2 after the match finished 1-1 after extra time.